Question
Posted by: Bianca | 2011-05-19

Horse riding

I do horse riding as a sport and it is very difficult to find info on which exercises suit this sport the best. I would like to know if there are specific exercises that can enhance my performance and also ones that I rather should avoid. I would also like to know if I should focus more on cardio or weights or maybe a combo of both?

Thank you kindly.

Bianca

Hi Bianca

Pilates would be very effective, because it'll teach you to stabilize, and it focuses on the glutes and lower back. So if you can join a pilates class, it would be very helpful.

Leg exercises are good - the main ones are the quads, the hamstrings. Things like lunges, leg extensions. I'd say you should balance your time between cardio and weights. Cardio because it improves general fitness and that good on and off the horse. Weights to work on the lower back and stabilizer muscles. And that split is roughly 50-50 in terms of time. Obviously, you're getting specific training on the horse, and that is separate.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011-05-23

Hi Bianca

Reply to fitnessdoc