Question
Posted by: Talita | 2012-02-23

horrid pain when I stand up

Hi expert

Post-Roaccutane, I still am suffering incredible joint and muscle pain. I am taking good supplements. The pain is worse when I am still for a while. esp at work when I have to get up from my desk. Yet when I walk around too much, that too causes increased pain. I am a bit miserable - there is pain if I am still for long and there is pain when I move more than I should. It is difficult to strike a balance. Can u suggest what I might do mechanically, to ease my discomfort? I came off the Roaccutane two weeks ago tomorrow, was on 100mg/day, an incredibly high dosage. I thought the pain would have gone by now, is it still too early given I was on the maximum dosage? Brittle bones is a known side effect. Only my knees are affected.

Expert ImageOsteopath

Hello Talita,
You haven't specified where your joint or muscle pain is. I would advise you to consult with your local osteopath.

A first consultation with the Osteopath will include a detailed case history leading to a discussion of your present symptoms. This hour long session will look at the following:
a) how your symptoms began
b) factors affecting your condition
c) health problems
d) physical trauma
e) medication
f) surgeries
g) lifestyle habits
This is facilitated through accompanying clinical information such as medical reports, x-rays and prescriptions.
A physical examination is then conducted to evaluate the body’s biomechanics (structure, posture and physical movements). If necessary, further investigations such as x-rays, blood tests, MRI scans may be requested.
Diagnosis, clinical findings and an appropriate treatment plan with projected recovery time frames will be explained and discussed and additional advice on exercise, nutrition, ergonomics and lifestyle may be suggested to facilitate recovery and optimal health.
Subsequent manual therapy will range from very subtle techniques used for babies, through to more robust methods applied to athletes. Some of these include: Gentle releasing; Joint articulation & manipulation; Cranial, functional, visceral techniques; Muscle stretching; Rhythmic joint movements; Soft tissue massage; Trigger point therapy; Lymphatic drainage.
The number of visits will depend on the severity and duration of the illness or injury and can range from between 2 to 6 consultations.