Posted by: tooth fairy | 2010-03-23

Horrible sinus problems after losing top teeth

Hi there. A few years ago i had all my top teeth pulled out. one tooth made a hole through the sinus wall and had to be closed. Now i am having so may sinus problems it is even affecting my eyes (my eyes feel like images are racing into them. I dont know if this can happen with sinus problems or because i am on ritalin.) Also when i squirt water up my nose my whole head gets sore and eyes feel like swords shooting through them. I am also numb and it throbs where all my teeth came out. What do you think this is? thank you so much

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear tooth fairy

Teeth in the upper part of the mouth (maxilla), are indeed in close relation to your sinus cavity. The large sinus cavity in this area is called the Maxillary sinus. The problems you are reporting occur in patients were the teeth actually form part of the floor of the sinus. I suggest you see an ENT surgeon to establish whether or not your eye symptoms are related to your previous problems. In cases as yours, where there was a direct opening (fistula) between the oral cavity and the sinus, one may suffer from problems with the sinusses even after closure.