Question
Posted by: Lenee Malan | 2010/03/05

hormones, IBS and cholesterol

Good day doctor. I do not see any other doctor on the list that specialise in what i think my category of question will fall under.

I had an histerectomy 1 and a half year ago. I had inplants 6 weeks after the surgery and since then not again. I went to my gynocologist who tested me and said my hormones are fine. That was about 4 months ago. Since then I started TO FEEL how I pack weight on around my waist. I also had my cholesterol tested the same time and it was 6.2.

Then about a month ago I realy started to feel uncomfortable in my stomach. It felt like their was not enough space for al my intestines. I decided to go for another test and my cholesterol came back 8.2 and the gyne said that my hormones is not right.

I also got realy sick and my house doctor diagnosed me wih IBS. I have realy pain in my intestines and have gas al the time. I cannot eat ANYTHING without having pain or gas.

MY QUESTION:

DOES MY HORMONE PROBLEM CAUSES CHOLESTEROL - I READ UP AND THEY SAY THAT A SHORTAGE OF TESTOSTORON DO CAUSES LDL AS WELL AS FLAMES UP IBS.

My doctor subsribed Crestor for my cholesterol but I am so scared to use them after reading up on all the bad effects that they have.

Hope you have some good news for me.

Lenee Malan

Lenee Malan

You have to take the Crestor to treat your cholesterol or any other suitable product, as your cholesterol is very high. A cholesterol of 8 puts you in a high risk category for a heart attack. Please refer to above post regarding cholesterol.

I suggest that you have a full hormonal profile done, which will include testosterone. If your hormones are abnormal, your doctor will be able to treat the abnormal normals. It is important to know if you had a full abdominal hysterectomy, which means that your ovaries were removed.

Exercise is very important to lower cholesterol, as well as burn fat and to prevent the symptoms of IBS.

A good diet, low in calories and high in fiber, will be beneficial.

I also suggest that you consult a gastroenterologist to confirm the diagnosis of IBS, as it is a diagnosis made by exclusion of other pathology. There are treatment options for IBS and the gastroenterologist will certainly look at these options.

Please feel free to post any other questions.