Question
Posted by: sam | 2012/08/13

hormones and weight

i have recently been diagnosed with a dhea deficiency. I have started taking supplements. What eating plan can I follow to help with weight loss. The doctor said I should just take the supplements, but I feel that I need to follow a healthy diet and start to exercise so that I can see some results. I will be happy if I can lose 0.4kg a week.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Dear Sam
I am not convinced that DHEA will actively promote weightloss in view of the following statements published on About.com website on this subject (among others). "There are very few large, well-designed human studies testing the health effects of DHEA supplements. For example, there is not enough scientific evidence to rate the effectiveness of DHEA supplements in treating adrenal insufficiency, metabolic syndrome, depression, HIV/AIDS, Addison's disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, menopausal symptoms, heart disease, breast cancer, infertility, diabetes, or Parkinson's disease according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

In addition, there isn't enough evidence to support the use of DHEA supplements as an anti-aging remedy or weight-loss aid. The NIH also cautions that DHEA supplements appear to be ineffective for boosting libido, enhancing muscle strength in elderly people, protecting against Alzheimer's disease and improving thinking in healthy older people."
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site.

1

Dear Sam