Posted by: Jerome | 2009-07-30

Hi Doc, I have a feeling I may have low testosterone levels. Im in my late 20' s and my libido is very low for someone my age, also I get very tired during the day. I do not have any stress factors that may be causing this, so if I go to my doc to get my hormone levels checked, what exact type of test must I request him to do? What levels must he check so determine if i do suffer from low test? (eg free test, estrogen levels etc)? Im a bit incertain on what to ask for, please advise. Also what are the normal levels my hormones should be and also if it is determined that I have low testosterone levels or too much estrogen then what medications are usually given to someone my age to cure this problem and for how long? THanks , Jerome.

Dear Jerome
Your doctor can just do a testosterone blood test - if low, they may need to test some of the other hormones too, and treatment will be testosterone injections. Also ask him to check your thyroid hormone levels and your blood sugar.