Posted by: C | 2009-01-27

Most months around the PMS time days before my period is due, i experience flashing lights which normally indicate the onset of a migraine. it lasts for up to half an hour (growing) and then goes away. I often dont get a migraine until the next day though.
Is this due to hormones? I am not on any contraceptives.

Please could you also explain the connecttion between TLE and migraines. I have posted before about possibly having TLE, which you said at the time sounds very likely considering my description of the ' episodes'  and my history..
I want to find out if migraines are linked to this as this morning I had a dull headache, then experienced an episode and now have a terrible migraine. Like i mentioned, it is a week before my period and I wonder if this is all related.

Dear C
Migraines can definitely get worse in the week of your menstruation due to hormonal changes. TLE is difficult to diagnose on symptoms alone, and migraine can imitate TLE so sometimes brain imaging is necessary. You can see a neurologist for both conditions