Question
Posted by: Anne | 2012-03-05

Hormone Replacement Therapy for Hot Flushes and Osteopenia

Dear GynaeDoc

I am almost 47 years old. For the past few months I have been experiencing hot flushes , and have not menstruated since December.

Although I am fairly healthy, I have Multiple Sclerosis and low bone density (Osteopenia) , due to frequent infusions of Solumedrol.

I would like to know the following:

(1) At what point should I be thinking of going on HRT?

(2) Should I take the traditional HRT , prescribed by my gynaecologist , or should I take the herbal RED CLOVER obtainable at Clicks Stores?

(3) Are there any contraindications for taking HRT? I am currently on Inderal LA, Urbanol, and Serdep (for an Anxiety disorder) and Betaferon for Multiple Sclerosis.

I have NO family history of breast cancer.

Many thanks!

Now would be a good time to start HRT if you have decided to do so. The decision to take HRT or herbal remedies is yours. HRT hAS proven benefits for osteopenia, red clover does not. There are contraindications to HRT which include breast and endometrial cancer, heart disease and a few other medical disorders. Your gynaecologist would advise for your individual situation.

2
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-03-08

Posted by: Micky | 2012-03-05

I was looking for the same answers go to the South African Menopause Society and you can also post a question . I found my asnwers there.

Reply to Micky