Question
Posted by: Anne | 2012-03-05

Hormone Replacement Therapy for Hot Flushes and Osteopenia

Dear Cyber-Pharmacist

I am almost 47 years old. For the past few months I have been experiencing hot flushes , and haven''t menstruated since December.

Although I am fairly healthy, I have Multiple Sclerosis and low bone density (Osteopenia) , due to frequent infusions of Solumedrol.

I would like to know the following:

(1) At what point should I be thinking of going on HRT?

(2) Should I take the traditional HRT , prescribed by my gynaecologist , or should I take the herbal RED CLOVER obtainable at Clicks Stores?

(3) Are there any contraindications for taking HRT? I am currently on Inderal LA, Urbanol, and Serdep (for an Anxiety disorder) and Betaferon for Multiple Sclerosis.

Many thanks!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Ann

1) HRT should be beneficial when (a)you will benefit from it, and (b) if benefits outweigh risks in your specific case. The benefits of short-term hormone therapy may outweigh the risks if, for example, you experience moderate to severe hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms, or have lost bone mass and either aren't able to tolerate other treatments or aren't benefiting from other treatments.
2) Red Clover may be a starting point for very MILD symptoms (e.g. hot flushes), but if when you find it ineffective, or in more severe cases, "traditional" HRT is advised,
3) I suggest discussing your personal risks with your dector

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012-03-06

Hi Ann

Reply to pharmacist