Question
Posted by: Karen | 2012/01/24

Hormone replacement

Hi.
One of my ovaries were removed when i was about 27, and I had a full histerectomy (other ovary removed as well, with the rest of my ''womanhood'' (he-he) when I was 30. I have been on hormone replacement since - for 12 years now. I cannot take the implant, as my gynea says it would trigger the endometriosis grade 4 that i had (have?), and therefore I am on Livifem. My question is - I have not been taking the Livifem now for almost 3 months, and beside some hot flushes now and then, I don''t feel any different. So, do I NEED to take it, can I stop? If I stop, what side-effects can I expect? And will not taking it, have an impact on my health? Please advise?

The main side effect would be osteoporosis. You could monitor for this with bone density scans though. You may also have symptoms such as the hot flushes which you have noticed. Some women also experience insomnia and mood swings.

1