Question
Posted by: Lee | 2012/06/18

Hormone problems

I hope you can help. My daughter is now 24. She''s been suffering with her skin since her teen years - thats number one problem. She has terrible PMT and periodically the most excrutiating period pains - so bad she wants to pass out from the pain - she takes very strong pain killers for this. Also, she is unbearably moody - this is now affecting her life so badly. She''s just about to split up with her boyfriend of 2 years because she is impossible to live with and the moodiness lasts for more than a few days - she''s now come to the realisation that she cannot live with anyone. She sees a gynae every year for her check but there''s nothing much she can suggest for the hormonal imbalance because unfortunately my daughter cannot take any type of contraceptive pill because she is pre-diabetic and any of them trigger the diabetic symptons - she has been on a few (before she was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic she used one of them and at that time her skin cleared). Her skin, when not in a breakout stage - has really large pores. I''m so desperately sorry for her and feel helpless to do anything as we''ve tried so many things. She is stringent in her skincare routine and eats only the very healthiest of foods (she''s also a vegetarian and exercises alot). But my main concern is now the moodiness which is leading to this breakup and her wanting to live on her own. Is there anything you can suggest? - I''m now at a total loss at what to do or suggest - Many thanks

Your daughter's symptoms are suggestive of PCOS and I wonder if she has had a scan to exclude this. If she is insulin resistant this is not a contraindication to the Pill. In fact, women with PCOS benefit from a Pill like Diane-35 and Glucophage for the insulin resistance.

1