Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/09/29

Hormonal problems linked to ovarian cyst

Hi Doc,

I am 31 years old and have 3 children. About 3 months ago, I started gaining a lot of weight (10kg in 3 weeks). I' ve been retaining a lot of fluid, my skin and hair has become excessively oily, I am irritated and bloated and my breasts are huge. I had a baby in Jan 2008 and my breasts are still the size they were when I was pregnant. The areolae are still as dark and huge as they were during pregnancy. (I did not breastfeed, but was given tablets to stop milk production). I was a 36C before my last pregnancy and I am now still a 40DD (on a good day, when I don' t swell too much). Even the breast tissue under my arms also swells and becomes quite painful by nightfall.

My GP tested my thyroid and kidney funcltion, both of which are normal. I then visited my gynae, who picked up that I had a cyst of approx 5cm in my left ovary. We initially took the watch and wait approach. After 4 weeks the cyst was still there but had not grown much. The gynae then prescribed 3 Duphaston tablets. My period started a week later, and during the time that I took the Duphaston I felt a lot better. I' ve been taking 2 Primeve tablets 3 times a day. The doctor also prescribed Burinex K for the swelling, but it doesn' t bring the swelling.

The cysts was drained during a laparoscopy on 23 September. The doc also did a D& C. (My pap smear was normal).

I am only seeing the gynae on Friday to have the stitches removed and for a follow-up. But the gynae does not really answer my questions, other than that is normal for me to feel the way I do.

I still feel exactly the same as I did before the op. I am still swelling and my breasts are still huge.

Will these symptoms get better soon, or should I get a second opinion. I cannot live like this. I am terribly irritated all the time and the way my body feels makes it even worse. And it is now impacting on my relationship with my family.

Your breasts may remain the size that they are. this often happens after a pregnancy.
I am not clear where the swelling is. It is unlikely that your symptoms are due to the cyst. If you had relief with Duphaston, it suggests a hormonal cause. The oral contraceptive may help with this.