Question
Posted by: Mandy | 2011/01/18

hormonal or depressed?

My 10 year old daughter is very tearful and unhappy. How does one know whether it''s hormonal or depression and who do I take her to? She went to a Pshycologist last year who said she is a very sensitive child. I''m not sure where to start to help my little girl?

UNless she is experiencing a very young puberty, hormones don't usually play a part in the mood of pre-pubertal girls. "a very sensitive child" isn't, to me, a very useful comment. The issue would be why and how she is very sensitive, and how she could usefully reduce the degree of sensitivity. This is where again I prefer Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy (CBT ) whoch would take that sort of approach, rather than a wishy washy comment without detailed guidance on how to improve the situation. Otherwise it's like taking a weeping child to a shrink and being told that it's because she has dark hair. (a) it isn;'t, and (b) even if it was, what would be best to do about it ?

2
Posted by: Maria | 2011/01/18

Is she like this all the time (depression) or does it happen for for a few days every couple of weeks (hormonal)?

Reply to Maria