Posted by: steffi | 2009-04-15

hormonal imbalance

Been struggling with low iron(ferritin) levels for last 2/3 years.Used Roaccutune about 3 yrs ago too clear acne and were on pill(Ginette) for about 2 yrs(stopped about 2yrs ago).After about 3 months not taking the pill periods became heavier.(were already on iron therapy by then,and still am...get parentaral iron every now and again).My skin is again acting up and occasionally I have a blunt pain in left pelvic area.Also experience excessive sweating under my right arm only.(not sure whether all of this could be related to a hormonal imbalance?Also have a little bit of spotting for about 3 days prior to my period/sometimes brownish,old blood).Recently read about a pill called Seasonale(in the US) that reduces periods to about 4 times a we have something similar available in SA (the GP suggested that I look at controlling my heavy periods...since this along with being vegetarian does' nt help my iron status)...I am a little concerned about taking any hormonal pills...should one have a test(blood/urine?when in the menstrual cycle?) to check hormonal levels before deciding which pill/s will be the best to use?

Seasonale is not available in SA yet. There is no blood test to help you decide on which Pill to take. Good ones to start with are Femodened or Nordette.