Question
Posted by: MOE | 2011-06-24

HOPELESS

I just got my daughters report card and she fails 2 subjects. She says she is failing because i am punishing her for other things she keeps doing wrong and because I took her cellphone away. She lies all the time. She is smoking, have been testes positive for dagga use. Is in hostell and have already been suspended once for a week. She is so self orientated and blames everyone else but herself for if she gets in trouble. I have now made a apppointment for us to see as phycologist (both) but I am so crosss now I dont even want to speak to her.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Moe,

you have done the right thing to organise a psychology assessment. Saying she is failing because she is being punished is very manipulative and you need to keep your boundaries firm. You may need to consider her going for in-patient treatment at an adolescent unit as the behaviour you describe needs urgent attention to prevent things from worsening. As part of that I would also suggest family therapy as it is clearly damaging your relationship with her.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011-06-29

Hi Moe,

Reply to Teen expert