Posted by: Nav | 2009-03-20

Hi cyberDoc,
Im a 22year old, depressed female, i work 6 day a week at a dead end job which pays me nothing, im working towards a degree that looks like will take forever to accomplish and i still have no idea if thats the career path i want to take.
All the people my age are just coming out of university and starting at the bottom whereas im still not qualified and still im at the bottom.
I have so little time for myself i cant even look after myself when i need to. I honestly do try but im always overwhelmed by every other faucet of my life that my studies and personal life suffer.
To sum it up i fell like im going nowhere,and its killing me!
I really need some direction in life, even some advice cause i feel so far down i have no idea even where to start.

As a doctor and psychiatrist, I know from experience about very lengthy degree courses, but they don't last forever ; it just sometimes feels like it. If you're unsure of the right career path for you ( and in mos major careers there are quite a number of alternative options ) --- see, maybe on campus, a psychologist who can conduct tests opf your abilities and your interests, and see where the best matches show up.
We all start at the bottom --- that doesn't matter at all. What matters is where you are headed and whether you have a credible plan to get there.
If you feel overwhelmed |by ever other faucet of my life", then turn off some of those taps, and have less facets ! ( and I'm not striving to be facet-ious ). Carrerr and personal counselling may helop you regain a sense of direction, and motivation usually grows based on that

Posted by: MS | 2009-03-20

Sorry Nav,
Don' t think so much about where you should be, rather concentrate on the here and now. i also seem to get upset when i think of where i would like to be in life, and of where i am at this point in time. try and set goals for your life, and celebrate when you' ve reached them. I' m sorry to see that you are so distraught. Good luck.

Reply to MS