Question
Posted by: Clare | 2009/11/10

Hopeful

I w as on depo provera for +- 5 years and in that duration I did not have my monthly menses. I stopped altogether in April 2007 and ever since then have had irregular periods. My current gynae did a progesterone test and tested my insulin (fasting) my insulin level was borderline 12 and my progesterone tests showed I did not ovulate. He started me on 500mg 1 x day glucophage and 50mg clomid on days 5 –  10. I had my day21 progesterone test on 31 October and my gynae confirmed I did ovulate. He said my progesterone level showed 120. I was advised that if I don’  t start I my cycle in 10 days I need to go to the lab for a blood test to check for pregnancy. My husbands sperm count etc was done in Jan this year and everything came back normal. What I would like to know is the following:

1. What does the progesterone level of 120 indicate? Is this a low or high reading?
2. If I ovulated first time on clomid is this a good thing and does it increase my chances of conceiving sooner?
3. Statistically speaking do I run a high risk of miscarriage?
4. Again statistically speaking what are my chances of having a successful pregnancy in these six months?
My Dr has advised that he will monitor me for 6 months, i.e. check if I continue to ovulate on clomid and if after that time I have still not fallen pregnant he will investigate further. My Dr also checked for pcos i.e. did an internal ultrasound, internal check, I have no excessive facial hair, no acne, nor excessive fat in the relevant areas. He told me to count out pcos. I am 26 years in age and my husband Is 27. Neither drink or smoke however we are both in stressful jobs.
Thanking you in advance for your time. Kind Regards Clare (Hopeful mommy)

1. this level indicates that you ovulated.
2. This would be good and would increase your chances of conceiving.
3. If you have PCOS, you do have a higher chance of miscarriage.
4.It is very difficult to give a statistic because I don't know all the details, but the average chance of falling pregnant in women with no problems who ovulate normally is about 20% per cycle.

2

Posted by: Ann | 2009/11/11

1. What does the progesterone level of 120 indicate? Is this a low or high reading? This is a high reading, higher the better.

2. If I ovulated first time on clomid is this a good thing and does it increase my chances of conceiving sooner? Yes, as long as the sperm is OK

3. Statistically speaking do I run a high risk of miscarriage? No

4. Again statistically speaking what are my chances of having a successful pregnancy in these six months? Good if you continue to ovulate

My Dr has advised that he will monitor me for 6 months, i.e. check if I continue to ovulate on clomid and if after that time I have still not fallen pregnant he will investigate further. My Dr also checked for pcos i.e. did an internal ultrasound, internal check, I have no excessive facial hair, no acne, nor excessive fat in the relevant areas. He told me to count out pcos. I have none of these symptoms and I have PCOS, so you never know.

Reply to Ann