hooves for dogs

My dogs are lab crosses and have the expected ravenous appetites and tendency to gain weight. Apart from feeding them " lite"  dog pellets and exercising them is it ok that I give them hooves to chew? they really love them, sometimes demolishing them in a day, sometimes keeping them a long time. My only worry is that the greediest dog sometimes seems to have a tummy ache after demolishing a hoof. Other chew toys/snacks are no good- they don' t survive 5 minutes. My only other option, I thought, is tractor tyres!

Dear Anon

I have never had problems with hooves.

If your dogs are extreme chewers with hooves etc and go through toys very quickly, consider getting them Kongs (the black ones). They are made for extreme chewers and last a lot longer than normal toys (my GSD will go through a normal toy in a day, a Kong lasts a good 6 months!)
Also, try Hollee Mollee Extremes

Posted by: carol | 2009-07-02

Hooves are fine .. and ask your butcher for the end pieces of a nice meaty bone ..... give them RAW and those will keep your dog occupied for a while trying to get the marrow out .

Reply to carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-07-01

My dogs get hooves all the time - I often fill them with a bit of droewors jammed down tight, and glued in with a bit of pate or peanut butter. Ain' t never done them any harm!

Reply to Chill