Question
Posted by: nina | 2010/08/02

hookworms

My jack russel puppy is 7 weeks old today. he is very small, already had his injections. due to the fact that he is so small, he has never been dewormed. since yesterday it looked like his stomach is distended, but eating normally. he looks tired and suddenly sleeping allot. this morning his feaces was yellow jelly like. had diahroea last night as well. i fed him his dewormer and he started vomiting (once). some milk came out and a worm.
would he be ok and how many times do i have to deworm him?
is it hookworms or is it the round worm. kind of worried about him.

Hi Nina

Puppy's should be dewormed every 2 weeks up to 3 mths of age.

I would advise that you get some Panacur (fenbendazole) wormer and deworm for the next 5 days.

Large worm burdens can cause severe diarrhoea and vomiting. In addition they are know to cause neurological sign's

Ensure that the pup is getting enough fluids (electrolytes) and you will most likely have to put on a bland diet of chicken/boiled rice. Please do not continue with feeding milk as this can upset the stomach.

If you find that there is no improvement please take him to your local veterinary practice A.S.A.P. where they may have to put him on i/v fluids and medication.

I

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/08/02

Hi Nina

I

Reply to CyberVet