Question
Posted by: Schnoodle | 2011/05/19

Honeymoon

I know that this is LONG in advance, but I need some advice. I am getting married in November and will be going to Thailand for 8 nights for Honeymoon. I have 2 puppies at home, a minature maltese poodle and a minature shnauzzer x poodle. Both will be about a year and a half old in November.

They are both house dogs and sleep in the lounge in their beds. The thought of putting then in a kennel freaks me out! How can I leave them outside with nobody to play with them/love them/throw ball for them. They will probably be sleeping outside and it rains in November!

Are kennels as bad as I think they are?

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi there Schnoodle, nice to hear from you again! OK firstly thinking in advance like this is a GOOD thing - well done! There are several things you can do:-
1. There really are some excellant kennels and if you send me an e-mail seperately i will give you the names of some in your area.2. Inspect the kennel you decide on carefully, find out how much interaction, exercise etc the dogs receive and if they will be staying together. Ask for some names and refs - after all you may be leaving your little one's there and prevention is better than cure! If you are happy with them, spend a bit of extra money and have the dogs stay there for about 2 nights a few times before you leave. You will then see if they can cope.
3. There are house sitters that will stay with your dogs in your home while you are away. Again do some careful investigation. If possible see if you can get a family member or a friend to help here.
4. There are also people that come in twice a day to feed the dogs and spend about 20 mins with them. Again careful investigation.
5. If you go this route, make sure that the person has pics of the dogs, they have micro chips and the vet knows you will be away.
6. If they are good with other dogs, is there not a family member who can look after them at their house while you are away? If this is the case, then have 'play dates' with you in attendance and make sure all is ok.
7. Build up the dogs confidence so that they feel they can exist without you. Have them outside alone while you are home and supply them with some nice chew bones to occupy them. Build up the time slowly until the dogs are happy outside away from you for a period of time./
Good luck!

5
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/20

Good luck!

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert
Posted by: Nic | 2011/05/19

Hey Schnoodle,
I think woman tend to bond with their animals on a more maternal level than men, I know that''s a generalisation but I think it''s programmed into our genes! They do rule our lives but they give so much back as well :)
After much deliberation, investigation and visiting I''ve decided on a place called Lodge a Pet. They are in De Deur (which is FAR) - near Vereeniging but they do collect and deliver the pups as well. The lady is used by the SPCA to foster dogs while they look for homes - so she is " approved"  by them. The facilities are great, kennels completely protected from the weather and protected by an alarm system. She''s on a large plot of land and there''s an enclosed area where she lets the dogs out daily for walks and play time. Her partner is actually the chairman of the Bedfordview/Germiston SPCA. Give her a call if you want to go have a look - Annemarie - 083-991-1381. I know it''s very far but I personally don''t mind the drive as long as my girls are looked after and her rates are very reasonable.
Good Luck and enjoy the honeymoon (it''ll be over before you know it!)

Reply to Nic
Posted by: dog lover | 2011/05/19

Paws resort (see ad on Barking mad/Dogtown website) or keringa kennels(this one I haven''t checked out for a few years though)

Reply to dog lover
Posted by: Schnoodle | 2011/05/19

Thanks Nic. At least I know im not the only one feeling this way, my Fiance'' thinks im nuts! I''m in Sadnton in Joburg.

I cannot believe how these little fluff balls rule our lives :-)

Reply to Schnoodle
Posted by: Nic | 2011/05/19

In my opinion, long in advance just means you care and you won''t have to settle for a last minute arrangement. I am in the same situation for holidays in December and have also just started looking at kennels as I don''t feel a dog sitter will work with them being so young (mine are the same age as yours). Depending on which area you live in I can perhaps point you toward some good ones that I have found?

Reply to Nic