Posted by: Lebo | 2009-07-09

Honey and Cinammon

Hi Doc,
I read somewhere that a mixture of honey and cinammon if taken twice a day can help reduce body fat. How true is that?

Dear Lebo
If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search with "cinnamon' you should find my article on "Cinnamon Confusion" where I reviewed what we know about the use of cinnamon to control weight and blood sugar levels. You will see that researchers are not sure if cinnamon really helps or not, and that positive results were obtain in some studies, but only when people ate 6 gram of cinnamon a day! This a great deal of cinnamon to eat in one day and if you mix it with honey, the energy content in the honey may well cause weight gain instead of weightloss. You can certainly sprinkle some cinnamon over your breakfast porridge or certain cooked vegetables like sweet potatoes, but until we have more scientific proof that cinnamon is really effective it is better to reduce your energy intake with a low-fat diet and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise.