Question
Posted by: Huney | 2009-07-11

Honey

i would like to know if someone is allergic to bee stings, does this mean they may not eat honey? or is it just the sting and not the honey they would be allergic too? Is an allergy to honey very common?kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Dear Huney
Being allergic to bee stings is very different to having a reaction to eating honey. When you are stung by a bee, a particularly venomous toxin is directly injected into the bloodstream, thus causing a type of poison reaction, which can in some cases be fatal. If you should be allergic to honey, this would cause a sensitivity or allergic reaction which would be much less severe. The two reactions are different and also caused by different components (toxins vs allergens). I do not know what the incidence of allergy to honey is in SA, but I suspect that it is probably low. Contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about such allergies.