Question
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

Homosexuality

Good morning beautiful people!

Some interesting facts from Wikipedia - (and my apologies for the large post!)

"Physiological differences in gay men and lesbians:

Recent studies have found notable differences between the physiology of gay people and non-gay people. There is evidence that:

1) The average size of the INAH-3 in the brains of gay men is approximately the same size as INAH 3 in women, which is significantly smaller, and the cells more densely packed, than in heterosexual men's brains.[92]

2) The suprachiasmatic nucleus was found by Swaab and Hopffman to be larger in gay men than in non-gay men [93], the suprachiasmatic nucleus is also known to be larger in men than in women [94].

3) The anterior commissure is larger in women than men, and larger in gay men than in non-gay men.[95]

4) Gay men have, on an average, slightly longer and thicker penises than non-gay men.[96]

5) Gay men's brains respond differently to fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.[97]

6) The functioning of the inner ear and the central auditory system in lesbians and bisexual women are more like the functional properties found in men than in non-gay women (the researchers argued this finding was consistent with the prenatal hormonal theory of sexual orientation).[98]

7) The startle response (eyeblink following a loud sound) is similarly masculinized in lesbians and bisexual women.[99]

8) Three regions of the brain (medial prefrontal cortex, left hippocampus, and right amygdala) are more active in gay men than non-gay men when exposed to sexually arousing material.[100]

9) Gay and non-gay people emit different armpit odors.[101]

10) Gay men are more likely to have a counter-clockwise hair whorl pattern. [102]

11) Gay and non-gay people's brains respond differently to two human sex pheromones (AND, found in male armpit secretions, and EST, found in female urine).[103][104][105]

12) Finger length ratios between the index and ring fingers may be different between non-gay and lesbian women.[106][107][98][108][109][110]

Cognitive differences in gay men and lesbians:

Recent studies suggest the presence of subtle differences in the way gay people and non-gay people process certain kinds of information. Researchers have found that:

1) Gay men and lesbians are significantly more likely to be left-handed or ambidextrous than are non-gay men and women;[111][112][113] Simon LeVay argues that because "[h]and preference is observable before birth[114]... [t]he observation of increased non-right-handness in gay people is therefore consistent with the idea that sexual orientation is influenced by prenatal processes," perhaps heredity.[92]

2) Gay men[115] and lesbians are more verbally fluent than heterosexuals of the same gender[116][117][118] (but two studies did not find this result).[119][120]

3) Gay men may receive higher scores than non-gay men on tests of object location memory (no difference was found between lesbians and non-gay women).[121] "

Have a GREAT day, one and all!!!

;)

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi to you Azreal - I really enjoyed your post, it forced me to engage in the nature-versus-nurture debate again?

15
Posted by: Ollie | 2008/06/25

I always knew we smell better that hetero's!! lol

Reply to Ollie
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/09

Thank you expert! Have a good one!

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

Hi Prozactly!

You can read more on this at:

hXXp://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/03/differential-brain-activation.pdf

Ciao!

;)

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: Prozactly | 2008/06/05

interesting!

Gay men's brains respond differently to fluoxetine, a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.[97]

can anyone tell me what the difference in response would be? this is prozac

Reply to Prozactly
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

I think it's a subconscious thing, AB... I do pity the poor researcher that had to compile that specific statistic!

Hehe!

;)

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: Cornflake_boy | 2008/06/05

you too

Reply to Cornflake_boy
Posted by: Apache_boy | 2008/06/05

Very interesting Azrael...

What puzzles me... and yes i know its laughable... how do i, as a gay man smell differently than a str8 dude? Ok i bath twice a day and apply the strongest deo available... but i cant go round sniffing someones armpit... lol

Ok but do we subconsiously pick up the difference bud?

Hugs
AB

Reply to Apache_boy
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

Now I've moved you to my "nice-to-have-as-a-friend" list!

You're a nice guy, and I appreciate that in someone!

Have a good one!

;)

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: cornflake_boy | 2008/06/05

i think it's an honour to be in any kind of list!

lol.

seriously, im only kidding - like you said: ek is baie stout!

mille bisous

Reply to cornflake_boy
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

So now I'm stereotypical? You don't even KNOW me and already jou label me...

If it's not bad enough being judged by others.

Jy's baie stout, Cornflake_boy!

I'm putting you on my "questionable motives" list.

Hehe!

;)

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: cornflake_boy | 2008/06/05

Im not being mean... Sorry if it seams that way.

I just instinctivly always antagonise steriotipical commentary.

Reply to cornflake_boy
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

It's a joke Cornflake_boy... Why are you being mean to me?

I'm going to create my own forum and call it "Everybody SHOULD love Azrael"

;)

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: cornflake_boy | 2008/06/05

It is just the size of your penis. Get over it.

Reply to cornflake_boy
Posted by: Azrael | 2008/06/05

;) I guess... Erm... *coughs* It doesn't apply to some of us! Hehe!

Keep well LONEWOLF!!!

Reply to Azrael
Posted by: LONEWOLF | 2008/06/05

Interesting. I like point no 4 LOL

Reply to LONEWOLF