Posted by: bob | 2009-02-17

Homocystein levels high. How concerned should I be?

The subject basically contains my question?
I am 44 years old. Male. Very active.Fit. Fairly healthy diet. 1.82m tall. 78kg. Not sure what the level is but it is just above the norm. Other levels okay according to blood test.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Bob
Homocystein is an amino acid ( building block of protein) in the blood. High homocystein levels can be an indication that you are at risk for coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease.

It is highly influenced by diet and hereditary factors. Folic acid and vitamins B6 and B12 is important as it helps break down homocystein in the body. Foods high in folic acid include green, leafy vegetables and grain products fortified with folic acid. You can also take vit B supplements.