Question
Posted by: Lily | 2010/06/17

Homemade dog food

I would like to give my dogs some homemade food once or twice a week. Most websites give recipes that include cooked meat, rice and vegetables.
What I would like to know is if it is better to give them raw or cooked meat and how much per serving? Also, is this a healthy option or not?

Hi Lily

I prefer that you cook the meat as this will kill potential parasites/bacteria that maybe of harm to your pet. I am uncertain as to how much you should feed the dogs per kg - this is dependent on many variables. Most of the good websites should give you a good indication on the volume to feed.

4
Posted by: mags | 2010/06/28

Chil, everything you said is absolutely correct. It is about time we use our common sense and the world would be a better place if everybody uses it.

Reply to mags
Posted by: Chill | 2010/06/19

I note the cvet''s response, and want to put forward my perspective. The world we live in has become over-fastidious in many respects, and this business of ''cook the meat as this will kill potential parasites/bacteria'' is, I feel, a somewhat prime example of this. The meat we buy at butcheries is probably more hygienically selected and prepared than has ever been the case in the whole of history. It is not riddled with bacteria and parasites. Both humans and dogs are in fact carrion eaters, and survive perfectly adequately - in the middle ages, meat was hung in the open air to ''ripen'' and in many quarters, it was judged ready to eat when it decayed to the extent that it fell off the hooks holding it up. Make no mistake, I do not advocate any return to this kind of practice, and I''m sure there were significant health hazards involved even at that time. But our obsession with sell-by dates, cooking practices etc are bordering on the paranoid, and to recommend the cooking of meat for this reason is, I feel, somewhat absurd. Certainly if you obtain your dog''s meat by scavenging on rubbish tips, or at open-air roadside butcheries, or by trolling in the veld for the leftovers from lions and leopards, then by all means cook what you find. But if you purchase your meat from a normal butchery, store it and refrigerate it sensibly, and don''t leave it lying around for days - then let your dog''s preferences - and yours - dictate whether you cook it or not.

Having said all of that - I''m not sure why you feel it a good idea to be preparing home-made food a few times a week. No matter how hard you try, and how much research you do, you cannot come close to providing the type of tailor-made nutrition that is contained in the better brand of commercial dogfoods. Indeed, you are more likely to cause digestive irregularities as well as influencing your dog''s taste for what he SHOULD be eating. Dogs don''t work like people in that respect - if you find a dogfood your dog likes, he''ll like it always, he won''t get tired of it as we would if we were fed spaghetti bolognaise seven days a week.

Reply to Chill | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/03/14

ever seen the ingredients list in dog food,even most premium brands.Do some research and you would be shocked.

Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/06/18

Hi Lily

Reply to CyberVet