Question
Posted by: BB | 2008/07/16

homeless *** need to get it off my chest

I saw something yesterday morning that has been bothering me ever since. I was parking my car where I always park it and in the driveway of a house, was a young man, crouched to maybe escape the cold. He was in his 20's, possibly even early 30's. His clothes were all too small for him, he was gaunt, skeletal infact and haggard looking. All he had to his name was a few possessions wrapped up in a sarong. I knew this was someone who had lost his everything because of drugs. It was the 'look' he had about him. I should know because years ago I too was taking things. I was addicted, I will tell you that. I have taken almost everything out there, I was as thin as a rake and had 'that look' which is so obvious to me now I can spot it a mile away. I could very easily see how friends around me coud have ended up like this guy on the street. Me too. Luckily I never got that far and have turned my life around completely. Others are not so lucky, I hear of some in prison, for assualt, some in prison for theft, some who are very sick, some who have lost all their teeth! And some, who are still doing it. I saw myself in this guy yesterday I think. I recogniosed the hopelessness and exactly how far off the path he has gone. How the drugs grab a hold of your spirit, and leave you with nothing else. There he was crouched on the hard cement int he freezing cold, wearing paper thin clothes, and as I watched he lit up a pipe of some kind. This was at 8am in the morning. He didnt seem to even care where he was, his whole being was concentrated on getting that hit and where he will get his next one. It might sound completely sterotypical, but it has shocked me on such a personal level that I cant forget about it.
Let me say I am a 28yr old middle class white woman, with a car, good job and a young child. I have a loving family and supportive friends. I was academic child and did well at school. It can happen to anyone, it sneaks up on you and before you know it you carry the same look as the guy on the street. Thanks for listening - I just needed to tell someone.

Congratulations on getting out of the trap you had fallen into ; let's hope that this young man will also find his way out, and soon

2
Posted by: Lady 29 | 2008/07/17

Well done girl!

Reply to Lady 29
Posted by: Sg | 2008/07/16

All I can say is that I am very happy for you that you have come through it as a better person and realised the error of your ways.You can be very proud of yourself and I'm sure your child will benefit from your "comeback" as well.
Keep it up !

Reply to Sg