Question
Posted by: anne | 2012/08/28

holiday expense

Please advise in this situation. My bf has timeshare this coming week that he had to pay R9k for. He asked me a while back if I would like to go with him and I said no, because I don''t want to take 6 days leave for something that I dont really feel like doing. I want to go away overseas next year for 3 weeks and need my leave.
I told him then that he must advertise it and sell it. He hasnt done anything. He told me today that if we dont go, it is basically throwing R9k down the drain. He said even if I just take Friday and Monday and make it a long weekend. I agreed to that. I then sms''ed him and asked what I need to budget for as he has a knack of telling me at the last minute things I have to pay for and I dont want to be caught off guard. I need to know exactly how much this little escapade is going to cost me upfront. His answer to me was that we will discuss it tonight. I have a feeling he is going to tell me that we need to go in my car, with my petrol and I buy the food as he has paid for the accommodation. That will put me back R2000 which I have not budgeted for this month. This is a really tricky situation and I hate talking money.... what would a reasonable solution be?

I never thought that timeshare was a wise investment, and haven't met anyone truly happy with it in the long-term. But what do I know about such things ?
This timeshare he bought for presumably more cash, and now has to pay an extra R 9k per week just to stay there ? Couldn't one stay at a pretty good hotel for that amount ?
The whole deal about even the long weekend sounds awfully mercenary. If he cn't afford it, he should rid himself of that financial burden, rather than expecting you to share the expense. Are you sure this is the right guy for you ?

2
Posted by: Liza | 2012/08/28

Since he''s the one who so desperately wants to go on this holiday, he should be the one footing the bill. If he didn''t want to lose out, he should have advertised and sold the holiday to someone else like you told him to. Since he didn''t do so, it''s only his own fault if he ends up losing money. Also, if he hasn''t budgeted for things like petrol, it''s not up to you to take the responsibility away from him and shoulder it yourself. People need to face the consequences of their own actions.

One of the most problematic aspects of our society today is that parents don''t allow their children to face the consequences of their own actions and continually bail them out. These children then become adults who always expect others to take responsibility and bail them out when they want it (as opposed to when they really need it).

The truth of the matter is, this holiday is a luxury you cannot afford. If your boyfriend can''t understand and accept this, he''s only going to cause you further financial hardship in future which will eventually make you resent him and break up your relationship anyway.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza