Posted by: SS | 2008-12-15

Hole in roof of Kitten' s mouth

I am adopting a 3 month old cat this weekend. He and his litter mates are strays and had been brought in by a lady. One kitten was injured and had to undergo some surgery. My vet had stitched closed a wound (the vet suspects a sharp object must have caused the injury and maybe even cut through the palate) that was close to his nose and she had also tried to close the hole in his palate but surgery did not help with closing the hole in the palate. It is a small hole and does not seem to cause the kitten any discomfort as he eats soft and hard food variations.

The rest of his litter mates has found homes and the lady that brought him in was going to release back where he already came from. He is staying at a cattery (owned by the vet' s assistant) and is doing remarkably well. I have adopted him but would like to know what sort of problems a hole in a palate can cause?

Dear SS

A small hole would not cause any problems.