Posted by: Noleen | 2009-07-03

Hole in nose septum

Dear Doc. About 14 years ago I had a sinus operation. Ever since I have a scab inside one nose passage on the septum. Recently I was shocked to discover that the hole now goes right through the septum when I put ointment in one nostril and it came out the other. What causes a perforated septum and when should one be worried or see a doctor. The doctors who have seen the scab all assume I pick my nose, but its not that. Its always there! Thanks, Noleen

I strongly suggest that you urgently make an appointment with an ENT specialist, as there are a number of serious causes for the hole in your septum. I can only speculate but you need a definate diagnosis.