Posted by: andy | 2010-01-19

hole in ear

My son is 2yrs 9mmonths old. He was born with a hole on his earlobe and a hole on his cheek almost on his jaw line. The hole on his earlobe sometimes has a smelly white discharge. What has caused this and can it be corrected.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Andy

It is difficult to guess the possible cause without an examination, so I trust you will have this done, or it has been done. This is most likely a congenital non-closure of fissures in the embriological planes of the face.
The extent of the hole will need to be examined, to establish possible closure. A case like this is best managed in a team, so that all the possible options may be discussed. You should see an ENT surgeon for an examination and possible help in putting together a team of experts to best advise you on future management if this may be necessary.