Posted by: Hoarse voice | 2009-10-28

Hoarse voice

My voice is very hoarse, sounding like someone with laryngitus, but I dont have a sore throat or any other symptons. This is been going on for about 10 years.

I am an ex smoker , quitted more than 2 years ago, and use to be a binge drinker ( Brandy and coke ) about 3 bottles a weekend.Quitted for more than 6 months.

Do you think my voice is been damaged from the smoking and alcohol abuse. Will it get better ??????

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Hoarse Voice

Smoking and alcohol use will affect the voice, in some cases more permanently than others. The best would be to see an ENT, as you need an examination of the vioce box (larynx) to exclude possible causes, the most serious being cancer of the voice box. There are of course less serious causes, but this may only be excluded after a direct visualisation of the larynx.