Question
Posted by: Popeye | 2009-02-02

HMB

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this query - nobody on the bodybuilding forum wants to answer this question.

A friend at my gym suggested that I take HMB for increased energy and recovery from training.

Do you know of such a product? If so, is it recommended.

Hi Popeye

HMB is a pretty popular supplement in the industry, grew massively in the last few years. There is some evidence that HMB helps prevent muscle breakdown. A couple of studies have found that supplementation helps with muscle growth as well. The problem is, most of the studies use dosages that are much higher than the dose that you'll get with a supplement. That's how supplement companies use half-truths to get your money, incidentally - they'll tell you that evidence supports their use, but the truth is that they use far smaller dosages.

So, the real question is whether you need HMB or not? If your diet is decent, then you won't need it. It's just a waste of money. And if you want my advice - rather spend the money on seeing a dietician and fixing the issue long term, not short term.

Also, there's no research on whether HMB use is safe or not. It's impossible to say. So you kind of take your chances in that regard. Overall, the evidence exists, but it's weak, it's not conclusive, it doesn't cover safety, and so I'd say that you should cover diet and training first, then consider this kind of thing.