Question
Posted by: Victoria | 2010/08/25

Hllucination

My boyfriend woke up last night, screaming in terror - he scrambled over the bed (over me) to the light switch, and he kept screaming the whole time...eventually he found the switch and turned it on, only then did he stop screaming...
I was terrified, i have never NEVER heard someone scream in such terror before, not even in horror movies!!
He said he saw a human head by his bedside, and even when he got up to switch on the light, its eyes were following him...

We didnt sleep for the rest of the night, and he insisted that we keep the light on. We were both so jumpy after that.... Even now, i am STILL freaked out.

I am sure this isnt normal?? What could be the cause of it?? He hasnt been sleeping well at all lately, he gets up regularly during the night... he insists he is ok, but i am not so sure..

please help?? :(

Sounds odd. Like a Night Terror, though those usually occur in children, but probably just an extremely vivid dream. You mention that he has been having disturbed sleep lately ( though not other such events or nightmares ), so he's not really OK, whatever the basic problem might be.
Ideally, I'd like him to see a ood local psychiatrist for a proper assessment - not because he is mad, or anything like it, but because he is not well, probably in ways a shrink could more easily recognize and help him to fix.
Maybe try calmly talking with him about your concerns about his disturbed sleep, and whatever is worrying him, and explore, gently, suggesting to him that whatever is troubling him could be helped if he saw someone with the right sort of expertise

2

My brother has these - he went to the sleep clinic &  they diagnosed night terrors. Seems they can occur in adults too sometimes. He used to get them as ababy too (he is now 29). Perhpas your boyf could try the sleep clinic (you can google it).