Question
Posted by: Staffie | 2010-04-18

Hives after Rabies vac

Hello
My 2 year old staffie had her annual rabies innoculation yesterday. She''s been fine but today has suddenly developed what look like hives all over her face and head. Could these be a reaction? She does suffer from allergies in general and does take doses of cortisone for skin allergies. Is this reaction dangerous?
Thx

Dear Staffie

Unlikely to be the vaccination, possibly a bee or insect sting.

2
Posted by: Susan | 2010-04-18

Yes it is definitely a reaction, I had the same problem with my Dacshund. Give your staffie 1 Allergex every six hours. Mine developed hives at 3am in the morning, luckily I had some Allergex that only seem to work for 2hrs, the next morning I took him to the vet for a cortizone injection, R250 and 5hrs later the hives were back. I called the vet again and was informed that a cortizone injection can only be given once daily and that I should carry on with either Allergex or Celestamine ( a bit stronger, but only available as prescription). I kept on feeding him an Allergex everytime I spotted the hives returning and within 48hrs it passed.

Reply to Susan
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-18

Dear Staffie

Reply to Cybervet