Question
Posted by: Annie | 2010/01/18

HIV Worries

Hi Doctor

I have posted this question to CyberDoc but am still not 100% sure of what all this means and so I apologise for repeating a question but I am really hoping to get some clarity and thereby put my mind at ease.

In Sept last year I had an HIV test done at Ampath labs. The results came back as non-reactive. However there was a strange comment underneath the result that said something along the lines of "  the serological findings of the above patient indicated a reactive ELISA test for HIV, this is just a screening test and confirmation should be done with a Western Blot"  but the result definately says non- reactive. Could there be an error in the result and they actually meant to write reactive? I really don'  t understand the conflicting information.

Then in December last year I went for another HIV test, this time at Lancet Labs and I did an Abbott 4th generation test which came back negative.

Please doctor could you tell me what the story is, am I HIV negative and why did the first result come back with that strange comment?

I am feeling very anxious about this and don'  t know what to think.

Many thakns

Sorry, Annie, but I though I did early pioneering work on HIV/AIDS years ago, I don't deal with such problems and no longer understand the specific terms used in such lab results, and their significance.
There is a diffference between screening tests, and more complex tests done in relation to the findings of the first round of testing, to confirm whether the net result is positive or negative.
The later testing seems to confirm that you are indeed negative ; the first comment probably just suggested automatically that a further test could confirm this even more definitely.

1