Posted by: FJ | 2010-04-08

HIV transmission risk?

I cut my arm at work and it was open and bleeding quite a bit. So one lady got out her small medical kit and applied an alcohol swab to it and then put a plaster on it. But I didn''t even think that she wasn''t wearing any gloves. What happens if she had small cuts or sores on her fingers and touched my wound with them? Is HIV transmission possible in this manner? I did sort of try and look at her fingers and din''t really notice anything there, but there could have been something small?

It is highly unlikely and I will even guess impossible to contract HIV in this way. If the person who treated you, were actively bleeding and some of the blood entered your wound, there will be a slight possibility to get HIV. If you are worried, you can do a HIV blood tests, as well as at three and six months intervals.