Posted by: An | 2010-03-06

Hiv transmission risk?

Dear Sir or Madam

I recently had a sex with a woman (of unknown HIV status) who had her periods at that time. Because of that, sexual contact was limited to oral sex only (I received a -|- ). But there was an occasion when tip of my penis became in contact with her labia/vaginal opening (we are talking about seconds here). Although she was using a tampon and I could not see any blood on her or on me, is there a possibility of some invisibly small amount of blood " seeping"  through the tampon and infecting me? I am especially concerned because of the high viral count in blood.. I would like to know your expert opinion on the possibility of HIV transmission in this contact - is this a real threat or does it fall to a category " Anything Is Possible But That''s Really Paranoid" 

Dear An
Risk of transmission of the HIVstrain is dependent on many factors but is really only transmitted in three ways
1 mother to child trasnsmission
2 blood and blood products
3 sexual intercourse
The question is --did you have sex ? if you believe you did then it is imperative that you check your status.
Oral sex can give you bruising on your glans and if you come into cantact with infected fluid then there is a risk of transmission
please do your test and remember the window period

Posted by: An | 2010-03-06

Yes, obviously I have plans to do the testing after appropriate time has passed, but I was interested if this contact ranks as a real risk or paranoia. Blood has a high viral count... would it be feasible to have transmission in that way, even if I cannot see any blood.

Reply to An
Posted by: Anon | 2010-03-06

The fact that you want to admit " Anything Is Possible But That''''s Really Paranoid"  gives you an answer already.

Go get an HIV test at your local clinic for free, or go to your GP and tell him/her to refer you to a pathologist to get tested. You don''t need give a reason as to why you want the test. Doctors respect people who know their status.

Go for a follow-up test in 3-6 months. This way you can be at ease and know your status. By knowing your status, you can proctect future partners.

Good luck :-)