Question
Posted by: Jesse | 2009/04/28

HIV through fingering &  french kissing

Not much is mentioned regarding the transmission risks of french kissing and fingering. Is this because it' s not a risk or do they not know the impact it has on HIV to comment? I met a man the other night. Thought I was acting ' safe'  by just letting him french kiss and finger me. Now I' m starting to get a little concerned that this is a route of transmission for HIV.
Can you tell me:
1) If so, how is HIV transmitted this way?
2) why they only push the use of condoms if this is a classed as a ' risky'  activity?
3) What STD' s should I be concerned about regarding french kissing and fingering?
4) Do you think this warrants and HIV test to be done?
5) Have their been any documented cases in SA of HIV been transmitted this way?
6) What early symptoms would be shown?

Jessica

with french kissing there is a very small risk of transmission but this risk can be increased if there are any mouth sores. or broken skin(which may not always be visible to the naked eye). like so, finering poses a transmission risk if there any ports(sores, ulcers etc) through which there can be an exchange of body fluids (blood, vaginal secretions etc).
early symptoms would include symptoms of seroconversion (flu like symptoms, rash, lymphadenopathy)
if you are worried, than you should get tested and have pre test counselling done which would address all your doubts and concerns.

9
Posted by: JAMES | 2014/05/21

yes to the comment on fingering its really not posible for one not to have any cuts what so ever on the fingers nor mouth in most cases people bit their finger skin which leads to oppenings on the finger.lips are more comonly exposed to cuts as for instance when lips a dry they crack and one woun't stop a partner from kissing them knowingly that they have that cut.

Reply to JAMES
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/30

I forwarded your post onto a specialist at ' aidsmed'  and thought this was a rather interesting response.

Please could you kindly comment:

Jessica,

The " sexologist expert"  certainly is NOT an expert where hiv is concerned. This person is totally WRONG. Nothing you brought to us is in any way, shape or form a risk for hiv infection.

What' s more, it doesn' t matter where you live. That does not change your risk factor - and you had NO RISK.

One more time, use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently - consistently means EVERY TIME YOU HAVE INTERCOURSE - and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE.

Ann

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/30

Thank you for your response to my e-mail. I' m I right in saying that you feel I have a risk and that I need to be tested?

This is a response to a post I put on the aidsmed website and they tend to disagree with your believe:

Being fingered is NOT a risk for hiv infection, regardless of any small cuts etc he may have had on his hands. Not one person has ever been infected this way and you won' t be the first.

Kissing, " french"  or otherwise, is also not a risk for hiv infection. Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect.

Along with reading our Transmission Lesson linked to in the Welcome Thread, here' s what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER BEING KISSED AND/OR FINGERED, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren' t already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don' t forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Make sure your partner is using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Please can you respond to this e-mail as there are so many conflicting reports.
Unfortunatly, it' s too early for me to be tested but I would appreciate your advise.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/29

You’ re totally right –  it sounds as if we need to prepare ourselves for surgical procedures. How often have we asked our partners if they have any mouth sores or cuts on their hands? I thought I was playing it ‘ safe’  when I only engaged in French kissing and fingering –  boy, now am I concerned that something sinister might have come out of this all. Why are they not promoting dental dams and gloves if it’ s not a form of transmission route? I thought I was quite clued up on the transmission HIV but obviously not.
I’ ve had a few symptoms after this event. Do you think these are worrisome and warrant an HIV test to be done?

•  Headaches
•  Nausea
•  Sore legs
•  Tender tongue, sore throat and lips
•  Numbness in my left three fingers
•  Swollen colon (diagnosed by my doctor a couple of days ago)

In your expertise have you ever:

•  Seen someone infected with HIV from this?
•  Is there any documented cases?
•  How is HIV transmitted through the mouth and fingers?
•  If this is a concern why are they only punting the use of condoms?
•  Do you think its more anxiety then HIV?
•  Do you think this warrants an HIV test?
•  Do these symptoms show early HIV infection?

At the moment I am going out of my mind with worry. I can' t eat, sleep or concentrate in fear that I put my life at risk.

Posted by: Female | 2009/04/29

That' s supposed to be " b job" 

Reply to Female
Posted by: Female | 2009/04/29

Jess, you' re right, who looks into their partner' s mouth when theire lips are just inviting you for that kiss? And who says " sorry, can' t kiss, I bit myself and have a cut in my mouth" . So hopefully there isn' t that much of a risk. With regard to fingering, YOU know when you have a cut on your hand and should then keep that hand to yourself. YOU know when you have a cut in the mouth and shouldn' t give a -|- . For " other"  activities: it' s advised that condoms be used for a -|- , dental dams for cunnilingus, and gloves for fingering. Sounds like preparing for a surgical procedure, which most people don' t do, so again, we can only hope infection during those activities happen only in really special circumstances.

Reply to Female
Posted by: Jess | 2009/04/29

Not much has been said regarding HIV transmission through kissing or fingering, which is why I’ m so worried that I might have put myself in jeopardy.
I mean, who checks if their partner at the time has open wounds or cuts in their mouth before engaging in something like this?
I’ m assuming that if this was a ‘ risky’  form of transmission, there would be plenty more people infected with HIV. After all, they are only drumming in our head to use condoms for sexual activities … . what about other things?

Reply to Jess
Posted by: Female | 2009/04/28

Lol H about the " willpower"  part - Ya, it does require a lot of willpower, doesn' t it?!
Jesse, yes i think those activities are risky, to some extent. Maybe low or moderate risk, depending... There' s risk involved in kissing if one partner has open " wounds"  in the mouth and risk increases if one partner' s bleeding in the mouth. But i think HIV levels are very low in saliva, but don' t know the actual risk of HIV-infected saliva getting into open wounds.
Secondly, fingering' s ok if neither partner has cuts on the fingers and if you don' t use the same finger on him and then yourself and vice versa.

Reply to Female
Posted by: H | 2009/04/28

If you allow him to kiss and finger you, do you reach orgasm?

any willpower left?

Reply to H