Posted by: Anon | 2009-08-04

HIV Test

Hello cyberdoc

Are there hom-tests available for HIV testing that I can buy from a pharmacy or would going to a doctor be my best option?

I recently had a pap smear and my results were fine. No abnormalities or anything I should worry about but my next step would be to get an HIV test even though I am very safe and protective when it comes to sexual intercourse. Am I overreacting a bit here because I know I don' t have anything to be really concerned about. I like to be safe and my health is important to me.

Dear Anon
Rather go to a HIV clinic or your GP for a proper blood test - the home tests can give you false positive or false negative results. It is not overreacting - one should from time to time go for HIV testing if you are not in a stable relationship with one HIV negative partner.