Posted by: Aluta | 2012-07-06

HIV Positive and wanting a baby

I was diagnosed with HIV about 4 years ago. I started treatment 6 months ago (Atripla). When I started treatment my CD4 count was 365 and viral load was 100 000. I just got my test results back and I am UNDETECTABLE ( below 40) and have a CD4 count of 397.

My husband is HIVnegative. We are wanting to try for a baby - I have been reading up and have also been told that ATripla maybe harmful to the baby. My doc wants to put me on Nevaripne in anticipation that I concieve...safely of course, I would not dream of transmitting to my husband or the baby.

I had read two other reports which are conflicting, the first is that Atripla has been deemed not to be harmful to the baby and secondly that Nevaripine can have adverse effects on someone with a CD4 of over 250...Not sure what to believe anymore.

Essentially my questions are:
1. Is it safe for me to continue on Atripla and concieve?
2. Should I rather switch to Nevirapine even though I have done so well on Atripla?
3. Will I build resistance to Atripla if I change back to it post pregnancy?

There are many different treatment options during conceivement and pregnancy and in general all anti-retroviral medication are safe during pregnancy. It is imperative that you use anti-retroviral medication during your pregnancy and your doctor's advice is good advice. You will not build a resistance if you stop Atripla and continue with it after delivery.