Question
Posted by: Precious | 2010/02/02

HIV Positive and want a baby

HI, bith my husband and I are HIV Positive and both are not on ARV' s , we are clinically healthy with a CD4 Count of 500+, we would like to have a child and want to know what sould we do to ensure the baby comes out HIV negative and healthy

Dear Precious

Despite the fact that both partners are positive and have reasonable CD4 counts and perhaps undetectable viral loads, it is still inadvisable to have unprotected intercourse. The method of choice remains in-vitro fertilization with microinjection although cost of this procedure is formidable. The next best alternative is to perform intrauterine insemination after sperm wash, which also has a reasonable margin of safety and is a lot more cost effective.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

6
Posted by: Precious | 2010/02/23

Thanx Brenda, the thing is I have shared this with other people on other forums and they have done this and had healthy hiv neg babies, I mean with PMTCT programmes this can be achieved, I am happy you understand that we all have needs and this is one any woman dreams of,

Reply to Precious
Posted by: Brenda | 2010/02/22

HHH and K you really need a wake up call.HHH one might be HIV negative and die in a car accident tomorrow.Being HIV+ is not a death sentence it does not mean HIV+ people do not have the same feeling and needs as HIV- people.Im suprised they are still sterio types like yourselves.

Reply to Brenda
Posted by: Precious | 2010/02/05

Thanx for the feedback, I think we need to think hard about the whole situation...

Reply to Precious
Posted by: K | 2010/02/04

Please reconsider having a child. I know it will be a hard decision to make.

Reply to K
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/02/03

Dear Precious

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert
Posted by: HHH | 2010/02/02

I personally would not take such a risk. What if one of you gets ill and ARVs don' t help? Will that be fair to the child?

Reply to HHH