Posted by: Amile | 2012-10-19

HIV n pregnant: am i getting the ryt treatment

hi Doc,

i am 3 weeks pregnant and hiv positive. my vl is 800 and my cd 4 is 410. my drs (gp and gynea) have suggested i start on Atripla. i know for sure my gp did not look at my latest results of tests because i was seated infront of him. he left the room to telephonically consult with my gynea without looking at my results. he did not even tell me that he is giving me ARVs i only found out from the pharmacists by incident.

when i read on this regimen i was even more mad at their decision making process. they did not educate me, inform me or anything. this regimen seem to be not appropriate for the first trimester, and pregnancy at that.

should i be worried on other future decision these two will make about me and my babys life? i am getting a second opinion from my hiv specialist next week, but am i putting my child in danger by refusing to take the drugs in the meantime?

You are not putting your child in danger and using ARV's while you are pregnant can prevent the lateral spread of HIV to your child. I am glad that you are getting a second opinion and you should raise all concerns and tell the specialist exactly how you fee.