Question
Posted by: Athnamas | 2008/12/03

HIV infection risk

I sniffed cocaine with an HIV positive person who also has HepB.

I hhave subsequentlly been put on combivir by my doctor and have started a series of Hep vaccines.

How at risk am I?

Dear Athnamas
Why do you think you will be at risk if you sniffed cocaine with this person? Did you have sex or mixed body fluids in some way?

7
Posted by: Rix | 2008/12/04

Nobody can give you a definate clean bill of health. Only a blood test can do that.

Reply to Rix
Posted by: Samantha | 2008/12/04

I am extremely stressed! I will be tested in 3 months time - maximum window period. Im just really looking for some assurances that I am 100% safe - I feel sick with worry.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Rix | 2008/12/03

I wouldn' t stress TOO much, I think you are pretty safe witht he vaccines and Combivir.
You should have yourself tested in a month' s time, just in case, but I would sleep soundly and not worry too much if I was u.

Reply to Rix
Posted by: Samantha | 2008/12/03

I don' t think that there are any doubts as to he associated risks of taking cocaine. I will never do it again - unfortunately my friend will make hi own decisions.

My question: Is the vaccine &  Combivir enough to prevent me from becoming HIV + and Hep B?

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Rix | 2008/12/03

The vaccines and combivir is a good preventative measure to be taken.
Plse advise your HIV+ friend to stop taking cocaine. It is seriously hazardous to any person' s body, but expecially risky if you hare HIV+.
I work for a hospital in Vereeniging and I have seen many people who enter the hospital from the casualty section due to an O.D and exit at the back to be loaded in the morgue van. I' m not preaching, I' m speaking out of experience.
Just ONE example. One girl got involved with a rich older guy. She died her second time snorting coke. And you know what, she norted only half a line. It was a bad batch. Was cut and lined with all sorts of chemicals. You should have seen her parents. Take care.

Reply to Rix
Posted by: Samantha | 2008/12/03

Thanks Rix,

What are you thoughts on the fact that I am on a series of Hep B vaccines and Combivir?

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Rix | 2008/12/03

Well Samantha, if you used the same utensil to snort the coke as the other person, you could have hepatitis B as nasal fluid could have been transferred. But HIV is unlikely, unless there was blood transferred though the nasal passages. Why on earth would you snort coke with someone suffering of Hep B and HIV??
Why would an HIV positive person snort coke??
It breaks down you immune system.

Reply to Rix