Posted by: :( | 2009-03-17

HIV+ Friend

a friend of mine got her results yesterday, and it turned out that she' s HIV positive, she is crushed, has been crying since, i am not much of a help as i cry with her, what kind of support can i give this friend? what does a person want to hear in a situation like this?

No clinic or lab should be allowed to do any form of HIV testing without providing counselling to help the individual unserstand and adjust to the results. Ask on the HIV forum here in H24, as I'm sure there are other agencies she can approach for counselling , advice and support

Posted by: Ntidi | 2009-03-18

Sorry to hear, she or you can visit HIV Peer forum, on this site, most of us there once were we told the news we couldn' t even eat, my husband passed on at the same time. Or she can consult a hiv specialist who will give support and counselling. If she is empoloyeed, she can use the services at her work for Employee' s Assistance Pragramme, she calls the no and get referred to a clinical psychologist (they will treat all info as confidential). It worked for me. I went for about 8 sessions. Now i am up and running and living a healthy life.

Reply to Ntidi
Posted by: Ouch ! | 2009-03-18

Oh yes, that must be really crushing news, horrible to contemplate the ultimate outcome, I shudder. Apart from trained AIDS counsellors, I don' t know what to suggest. I don' t know the circumstances of her contracting it, but if it was through a partner, it just highlights the seriousness of warning for other readers to really think about the consequences of a potentially dicey relationshipswhere you are not 100 percent certain about your partners history or current habits. The guys are real bastards and never think about their partners/wives when they are catting around and that is why the girls have to be extra careful. It amazes me whe n you read on this forum where women complain about their partners cheating on them and then taking them back again. How silly and risky is that ? If they have cheated, the risk of them bringing you a STD is huge. I say ,kick them out immediately and have yourself tested 

Reply to Ouch !