Question
Posted by: Bigeasy | 2011/01/09

HIV EXPOSURE AND (PEP) POST-EXPOSURE PROPHYLAXIS

I know the forumists here can be mean, hostile and unsymphathetic and may I kindly ask that if one has nothing constructive to offer kindly refrain from replying.

Here is my story: The condom burst while having it on the 26th December around 22h00. The following day i went to see the Dr in Polokwane and he put me on PEP and prescribed 2 x courses namely Lamivudine 150 mg (2 x a day) and Retrovir 200mg (3 x a day) with 80% chances of being effective against infection. The Clicks pharmacy in Polokwane did not have enough Retrovir but they phoned the DR to confirm if they can give me ASpen Zidovudine 300 mg which was to be taken 2 x a day which he said it is OK. All this was to last for 30 days.

I started this course within 12 - 13 hours of exposure as per recommendation that PEP should be taken within 72 hours of the exposure to have any chances of it being effective. Even the DR commended my swift response.

To make matters even worse is that the lady I slept with tested positive and I as expected tested negative on the baseline test.

Today I realise that the suppose Aspen Ziidovudine were far less than the other and could not last me even half a month (In other words i was undersupplied). I went to Clicks in Kempton Park today on sunday and to my hoorow it was discovered that the Polokwane guys made a mistake of giving me 100 mg instead of 300 mg. Meaning that I was taking 100 mg twice a day instead of 300 mg twice a day. A costly mistake by any standart. The dosage has been increased to the required 300 mg x 2 a day from today.

While i acknowledge that even on the right dosage the treatment was not 100% guaranteed, the google search across the globe and patients who have used it are estimating over 80% efficacy and this definately gave me hope and for past couple of days I could sleep. Now with this development and position I found myself in, where does it leave me?
Both Pharnacists in K.Park and Polokwane are strssing that all is not lost (which i hope and pray for) but what is the reality for those of you who are in the knows and had experiences with these? It is really terrible for me and i cannot think straight when I think of this and the waiting for this test in 4 weeks time is gonna be the longest and most frustrating period of my entire life.

Now instead of posting to check how effective is this 2 combinations, I had to deal with the issue of underdosage. But still I would like to check also those patients who has used before, how helpful was it against HIV infection?

Thanks in advance and regrads,

please phone the AIDS helpline. they will be in the best position to provide you with support / counselling / referral / info. there number is: 0800 012 322.

1
Posted by: sexologist | 2011/01/09

Reply to sexologist