Question
Posted by: worried sick! | 2008/09/20

HIV Exposure and ARVs

I am a healthy, HIV negative gay male. Last night I met a man who performed oral sex on me for about a minute. Then we mutually masturbated, using saliva for lubrication. He had a lot of precum, so my penis and urethra were exposed to it. When I asked him if he was HIV negative, he avoided the issue and just told me that we had not done anything risky. I became paranoid and went to see my GP this morning who has put me on Combivir twice a day for a month. My question is: How successful is this regimen? I am so worried. Have you heard of anyone who became HIV positive despite taking ARVs?

Thank you!

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

The chances of contracting HIV/AIDS in such a manner, are very slim. Combivir will definately prevent you from contracting HIV/AIDS in the case of exposure. I would like to set your mind at ease and tell you that you should not be worried about this.

1
Posted by: Worried sick! | 2008/09/22

You have no idea what a relief it is to read your response. I spent most of the weekend so worried I couldn' t sleep. Thank you so much! This will make the 90 day wait period before I do the test so much more bearable. Thank you! God bless you!

Reply to Worried sick!