Question
Posted by: PIet | 2012/09/21

HIV Exposure

During a recent robbery, I have been possible exposed to HIV.
Action was taken immediately, went to see doctor at the hospital, took blood test and were put on a AVR drug. From reading the pamflet of the drug, I am worried that this is used merely for people with already HIV or for people exposed to HIV. The drug is ATRIPLA. Please advise

Piet

The drug is used as a precaution to prevent HIV virus from causing full blown HIV. Once the window period of 60 days are over and you test HIV negative, you can stop taking this drug.