Posted by: Sloslo | 2008-11-27

I was diagnosed with HIV in 1999, I have been doing well but recently decided to start gym for fitness and health and to get rid of some fat in unwanted places.To work with the gym I want to start eating healthy as well, is there any dietician you can recommend in EL?. do medical aids cover for dieticians if a person has a life thretening illness like me?what advice can you give of first start to healthy eatinmg. I love food and eat almost anything I eat a lot but I have never gone past the weight I am 86kg no matter how much I eat

Dear Sloslo
So glad you have the HIV well under control and are feeling well. I can't recommend a dietitian directly, but you can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. Most medical aids do cover dietetic consultations and it is really a good idea for you to see a dietitian because you need an individual diet worked out which takes the HIV and your antiretrovirals into account.