Posted by: Sally | 2010-08-27

HIV assistance required

I took a colleague of mine to my GP this week and she has been diagnosed as HIV+. She has subsequently had a CD4 count done and it has come back as 369. Whilst govt regards 200 as the cutoff for ARVs, apparently many private practitioners consider the cutoff to be between 300 and 350. With a CD4 count of 369, is she in danger of getting to the 350 limit soon or should she be able to avoid this now that she is aware of her diagnosis and is able to start eating healthily and taking multi vitamin supplements?

In private practice a CD4 count of less than 400, is considered low and will be treated with ARVs. These products are expensive but if she can afford it, try and have her treated as a private patient.