Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010-07-19

HIV+ AND PREGNANT, WHAT NOW?

I am four months preg and just find out that I am HIV+,what is the first step?

I presume you have booked with a gynaecologist. It would be important to start antiretroviral drugs. Which ones you use will depend on your CD4 count.\

4
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-07-21

Posted by: anon | 2010-07-20

You can also check the HIV peer forum on this site, it can be helpful to hear views about women in the same situation

Reply to anon
Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-20

Firstly, don''t panic.

You''ve got two things to deal with, you need to get counselling for yourself to cope with the news you have just heard and the health changes you need to make in your life to cope.

Secondly, you need to gather facts about baby. Risk of transmission to baby is very low, particularly if you are given meds to reduce the risk, if you have a c-section and if you don''t breastfeed.

Ask your gynae or your GP to refer you to experts who can help you.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: boni | 2010-07-19

have you started going for you gynae sessions. if not i would suggest you do, and you should be able to get all the relevant information there.

Reply to boni